*Plant tours are conducted exclusively in Japanese. Visitors should arrange their own interpretation services to ensure full understanding of tour content and regulations.
Visitors must produce ID and submit to a baggage inspection at reception.
Video on National Printing Bureau services (30 min).
Observe banknote printing through a window. The large banknote printing machinery is quite a sight! (20 min)
Enjoy learning about banknote manufacture and anti-counterfeit technologies via panels and hands-on exhibits.
Your guide will be happy to answer any questions on banknotes and the like.
|Tours:||Tuesdays, Thursdays (Closed on public holidays and New Year holidays)|
|Time:||10:00, 13:30 (Tour lasts around 90 minutes.)|
|Open to:||Primary school age and older|
Online or telephone bookings must be made between two months and two weeks in advance.
（The reservation desk services and tour guides are available in Japanese only.）
|Contact||General Affairs Division, Hikone Plant
Tel.: +81-(0)749-27-6004 (Japanese only)
(Reception hours: 9 a.m. – 0 p.m. , 1p.m. - 4p.m.(business days only)
1157-1 Higashinonami-cho, Hikone-shi, Shiga 522-0027
10-minute walk from Minami-Hikone Station (East Exit), JR Line
The destination is a 15-minute drive from Hikone I.C.
Parking permits for coaches and cars must be secured in advance. As parking numbers are limited, space depends on reservations.
- Online or telephone bookings must be made in advance. Visitors of junior high school age or younger must be accompanied by an adult family member, teacher or other guardian. If pupils/students in the fourth grade of primary school or older require supervision on group tours, this should be specified at the time of reservation.
- Data detailing the names, ages and addresses of all tour attendees must be submitted in advance. Those for whom such information is not received will not be admitted.
- Information on drivers and escorts must also be provided for coach tours (such staff must remain on board if this information is not provided).
- Elevator facilities are provided for visitors with disabilities. Please inquire when reserving a tour.
- Refrain from bringing pets to the plant. Any intent to bring guide dogs should be indicated upon booking.
- Visitors deemed to have the potential to cause disturbance to others in any way will not be admitted even with a reservation.
- Be sure to arrive 5-15 minutes prior to the start of the tour. The confirmation email and ID for all group members must be presented upon arrival.
*According to the tour start time of 10 a.m./1:30 p.m, please arrive at the plant between 9:45 and 9:55 a.m./1:15 and 1:25 p.m. There is no waiting area on the premises.
- For security, all tour attendees of high school age or older must produce ID and submit to a baggage inspection prior to the tour. Anybody failing to produce an ID will not be allowed on the tour.
- Visitors are required to deposit their belongings in lockers in the audio-visual area. Large pieces of baggage should not be brought.
Bring an official form of ID, such as a driver's license, passport, health insurance card, student photo ID.
Visitors of junior high school age or younger need not present IDs if accompanied by an adult guardian. Plans to bring one or more small groups of fourth-year or higher elementary school students as part of a school excursion or a field trip should be indicated in the "Tour request" column.
- In the interests of security, general public tours are not conducted.
- The tour lasts approximately 90 minutes. For security reasons, visitors may not leave before the tour ends.
- Be sure to wear footwear suitable for walking. The tour route includes stairs.
- NPB accepts no responsibility for any theft or accidents that may occur on the premises.
- Failure to follow NPB staff instructions may result in discontinuation of the plant tour.
- Printing machines may be stopped due to production requirements, unexpected events and other unforeseen circumstances. In case tours are cancelled, the group leader will be contacted.
- Plant tours are intended for visitors of elementary school age or older.
- （For visitors with infants）
- Infants must be carefully supervised throughout the tour.
- Parents with children causing significant disturbance to other visitors may be asked to leave the tour, which includes a 20-minute video display in a dark theater.
- Strollers may not be brought on the tour.
- Food and drink are allowed only in designated areas. There are no nursing or diaper changing facilities.
- Filming/recording is allowed only in designated areas.
- There are no café, restaurant or smoking facilities.
- Entrance to the premises under the influence of alcohol is strictly prohibited.